Welcome to Membership
Our Toastmasters club is based in the seaside city of Brighton and Hove. The club welcomes anyone who wishes to improve their communication and leadership-based skills.
Public speaking is a skill that takes time and dedication to master, but anyone can thrive given a supportive environment that enables learning-by-doing. We will provide you with a fun atmosphere of constructive feedback and supportive encouragement so you can:
- Give that inspiring speech you’ve always wanted to deliver
- Speak clearly and confidently to groups of people
- Challenge yourself by stepping out of your comfort zone
- Deliver that all-important presentation at work or university
- Entertain your audience with your well-honed storytelling skills
- Rarely feel lost for words in interviews
- Structure your spoken English for maximum impact
How much does it cost?
Toastmasters International is a not-for-profit group and all of its clubs are run on a voluntary basis.
As a result membership is offered at a very affordable price. We would recommend you explore other professional communication skills courses too, if only to see how the benefits compare!
£60 (equivalent to £10-£11.50 a month)
Twice yearly subscription fee, collected every six months in March and September (or pro-rata if you join outside these months)
When you join there is a one-time joining fee of £18.
Why join the club?
You are welcome to come to our meetings free of charge as a guest to see what the Toastmasters experience is about. We encourage all guests to try a few meetings before deciding to join.
When you join as a member, you enjoy the following benefits:
- The opportunity to practice public speaking to an audience at our fortnightly meetings
- Evaluation and constructive feedback on every aspect of your speaking performance, delivered in a friendly and supportive manner
- Subscription to the Toastmasters Magazine packed with articles about speaking and leadership, delivered monthly to your door
- Member access on the Toastmasters International global website to educational materials and the Pathways learning platform
- The opportunity to participate in area and region-level speaking contests organised by Toastmasters International, to push your speaking game to new heights
- Having a mentor to help you through your speaking and leadership journey
- The knowledge that you have a safe and supportive environment to experiment with your communication style
How do I join?
You can join by contacting the club’s committee, and they will send you membership details and a link to the online application form.
Simply complete online application form and submit payment, and the club’s Vice President Membership will take care of the rest.
In line with Toastmasters International policy, you have to be at least 18 years old to become a member.
A Toastmaster’s promise
Our mission in the club is to provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every individual member has the opportunity to develop oral communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth.
Being a Toastmaster means more than simply making a commitment to self-development. Everyone who joins a Toastmasters club is making a commitment to the club, to its members and to the organisation as a whole.
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise…
- To attend club meetings regularly
- To prepare all of my projects to the best of my ability, basing them on the Toastmasters education programme
- To prepare for and fulfil meeting assignments
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations
- To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
- To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so
- To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy
- To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters education and recognition programs
- To act within Toastmasters’ core values of integrity, respect, service and excellence during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities